Vegetable Pad Thai
Vegetable Pad Thai was on the menu tonight. My guys wanted Thai, but they did not want a soupy curry. Pad Thai was the natural alternative. It is a sweet, spicy, and sour noodle dish beloved by everyone who tries it.
What is great about Pad Thai is it is so versatile. Most vegetables that you have in your vegetable bin in the fridge will work, so it is an ideal dish when your bin is full and things need to be cooked. You can use squash, zucchini, bean sprouts, green onions, broccoli, savory cabbage, etc. to stir-fry. It is important to make sure your veg are sliced thinly and/or very small.
The sauce is important. It is sweet, sour, and spicy. A wonderful combination of flavors that will bring your mouth alive. Pad Thai sauce is fish sauce, soy sauce, chili sauce, coconut sugar, vinegar, and broth.
Once all the ingredients are combined, it can be garnished with cilantro and Sriracha sauce. Yum. A simple meal in 30-minutes or less.
* You can add chicken or shrimp to the dish. Marinate with some of the Pad Thai sauce. Stir-fry them.
Vegetable Pad Thai Recipe
- 8 ounces Pad Thai noodles
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 can baby corn raised and drained
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup peanuts, chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Sriracha sauce
Pad Thai Sauce
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek or chili paste
- Cook Pad Thai noodles according to package directions.
- As the noodles are softening, heat oil over medium to medium-high in a wok or skillet.
- Cook the garlic until fragrant.
- Add the vegetables cooking until softened then remove from wok.
- While vegetables are cooking prepare the Pad Thai sauce whisking it together.
- Add a little bit of olive oil then cook the drained noodle for about a minute.
- Push the noodle over to one side.
- Add the egg letting it cook for about 30 seconds then fold the egg into the noodles.
- Add the vegetables back to the pan mixing through.
- Stir in peanuts and cilantro.