Easy Quick Vegetarian French Onion Soup
Vegetarian French Onion Soup from Your Pantry
It seemed a waste to throw out homemade baguette, but it was stale. And stale baguettes are not very nice. Unless you repurpose them to use as rocks or bats.
What to do? Make vegetarian French onion soup. It is a great quick soup out of your pantry. So simple and satisfying. The meat eaters will not realize it isn’t made with beef broth due the infusion of thyme and butter. It gives it a richness.
Vegetarian French Onion Soup Recipe
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- unsalted butter
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- generous twist of the pepper mill or 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- baguette sliced thickly
- Shredded Swiss cheese
- Slice onions thinly.
- Heat butter and oil over medium heat in a sauce pan or small Dutch oven.
- Saute onions until soft.
- Add thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Pour in broth and stir.
- Come to a simmer and cook for 15 mins.
- Turn on broiler to HI.
- Arrange baguette pieces in 4 bowls.
- Pour soup over the bread.
- Add Swiss cheese.
- Put under the broiler until cheese is melted and browning a bit.