I love yogurt, but it no longer loves me so I decided to make vegan yogurt. I know the grocery stores are filled with options today so why attempt to make my own? Two reasons. One is I can choose my own flavor combinations. The other reason is quantity as this recipe makes 4 servings which as far as I know you can’t buy big tubs of plant-based yogurt yet.
I guess there is a third as since I have all the ingredients handy always. So then why not? I like making food from scratch. I know what’s going into it and I can modify to my tastes.
Vegan Yogurt Made Easy
It is pretty easy to make. I’ve tried to make my own dairy yogurt before. It failed miserably on more than one occasion. So when I saw how easy the recipe was for making plant-based yogurt, I thought I’d try it.
Five ingredients: frozen fruit, extra firm tofu, cashews, maple syrup, and lemon juice. I used a frozen cherry berry blend, but you could use frozen peaches or mango. Or a combination. As I attempt to be plant-based, I use maple syrup, but you can use honey.
It is nice to have yogurt back into my breakfast routine as it was creamy. I will continue to refine this recipe as I wasn’t so sure of the texture of cashews.
Are you looking to top the vegan yogurt with something then try my granola recipe.
- 2 Cups Frozen Mixed Berries (or frozen fruit of choice.)
- 1/4-1/2 cup Cashews
- 12-14 ounces Extra Firm Tofu
- 1/4 Maple Syrup
- 2 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1. Put everything in a blender blending at high speed until very sBlend everything together on a high speed setting until very smooth about 5-7 minutes.
- 2. Store in a container in the fridge for up to 5 days.