Want tacos in under 15 minutes? Quick Vegan Tacos fits the bill. Good plant-based food doesn’t have to take hours to prepare. You can have a freshly made tacos on your plate in 15 minutes. Perfect for a busy Taco Tuesday or other busy nights that you fancy something tasty without doing delivery. Or frankly when you crave some tacos and you want them now.
While I love my salsa, this vegan taco recipe doesn’t include it. And that’s OK. You can get your crunch and tang from the pickled red onions as the topper on these black bean tomato tacos.
My pantry always has black beans, both taco and burrito-sized tortillas, cilantro, picked onions, an and regrown green onions. I usually have to purchase oyster mushrooms and cherry/grape tomatoes though I do try to have them handy as they are great in many different recipes. Oyster mushrooms are really meaty making it a great substitute for meat in a lot of recipes. When I get cherry/grape tomatoes, I like the multi-colored ones as they add a bit of contrast.
Regrown Green Onions
Speaking for regrown green onions, it is a great way to have a supply of green onions. I rarely use the white parts of the onions and even store brought has some roots left. Use the green parts of the onions keeping the white parts. Fill a glass up of water and put the white part of the onion with the roots. Keep the water changed regularly and a couple of weeks, you have more onion to sip for recipes.
Mexican Taco Pickles
While pickled onions are yummy, I thought how would Mexican Taco pickles would taste. Stay tuned as I’ll share a recipe for Mexican Taco Pickles which will knock your socks off if you like it spicy as it is made with jalapeños, carrots, and radishes.
I have adapted the recipe from the Irish The Happy Pear lads and feel free to check out their yummy recipes.
- 8 flour or wheat tortillas fajita-sized
- 150 g Oyster mushrooms, finely sliced into bite sized pieces
- 1 can, Black beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 Cherry/grape tomatoes, halved or quartered depending on size
- 2 tbsp tamari sauce
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 Teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1.5 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 lime, squeezed
- 1 cup plant-based sour cream or unflavored yogurt
- Handful fresh cilantro chopped
- Quick Pickled Red Onion:
- Small Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 50 ml apple cider vinegar
- 1. If you don’t have pickled red onions in your fridge, then you can make a quick pickled red onion. Sliced the red onions thinly placing them in a glass jar. Add the vinegar and water if needed to cover all the onion. Let that sit as you make everything else.
- 2. Mix the sour cream/soy yoghurt with half the diced cilantro and the juice of 1/2 lime and mix well.
- 3. Heat a nonstick pan on high heat. Add a little olive oil if you want.
- 4. Add the green onions, black beans, and tomatoes with a pinch of salt flying for a couple of minutes.
- 5. Add garlic to the pan.
- 6. Continue to fry to another 2-3 mins stirring regularly.
- 7. Add the spices and tamari and mix well and turn off the heat, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- 8. Use a muffin tray to hold the tacos while you fill them.
- 9. Add the crema and a generous spoonful of the mushroom black bean mixture.
- 10. Top with some pickled red onion and some chopped coriander.