Rosemary French Lentil Sausage Stew
Fabulous French Lentil Sausage Stew with Rosemary
Seriously. This recipe for French Lentil Sausage Stew is fabulous. And addictive. When I make it, I cannot get enough of it and can sit in front of the pan with a big spoon just eating it. The worst thing I can do is make this dish early in the day; because I ended up “sampling” it throughout the day. Glad it feeds four to six people or there would be nothing left for dinner!
Simple ingredients are the best I find. Everything can be found at your local grocery store. I usually do not buy anything special for the dish outside of French lentils where I purchase them when on sale stocking up and hot Italian sausage. The rosemary is from my herb garden. Everything else is in my pantry. This is when a well-stocked pantry helps in meal preparation, but that is for another post.
One of the keys to this dish is chopping the veg and herb finely. It helps release favor and cooking time. I cook the lentils in one pot as I am cooking the veg and sausage in another one. Helps with cooking time. From start to finish, this could be a 45 to one hour meal. It is a satisfying dinner or lunch for cold weather. As my Mom would say, “It warms the cockles of your heart.”
French Lentil Sausage Stew Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups petite green lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped finely
- 1/2 cup baby carrots chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 14oz package hot Italian sausage
- 1 8oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Combine 4 cups water, broth, and lentils in a large saucepan over medium heat bringing to a simmer.
- Cook until almost tender.
- While the lentils are cooking, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrot, rosemary, and garlic to pan sautéing until tender.
- Add sausage cooking until no more red appears and crumbled.
- Add tomato paste and remaining ingredients cooking until heated.
- Add lentils to sausage mixture bringing to a boil.
- Cook until lentils are tender.