Perfect Roasted Potatoes
Yes, Perfect Roasted Potatoes.
Growing up with an Irish mother, roasted potatoes were served on a regular basis along with boiled potatoes. Bisto Gravy was a must in our house. Getting perfect roasted potatoes can be very difficult. I know since growing up, I had plenty. They are hard on the outside and dry on the inside. The Bisto Gravy helped, but still.
As an adult, I like roasted veggies and I have been experimenting with roasting. Unlike when I was young where only the meat and potatoes were roasted while the veg was boiled in water, I have started roasting the potatoes and veg together with success. I toss them with olive oil and lots of herbs making it flavorful. Getting the temperature and timing right is the hardest for me.
The keys to roasting for me are:
- the right amount of oil. There should be enough to brown it and keep it moist.
- the size of the veg. The veg and potatoes need to cut into similar sizes and not too large.
Feel free to use veg you have on had to roast. I have roasted pepper, squash, sweet potatoes, and cabbage. All turn out nicely.
- 1 lb. (bag) small potato medley or baby red potatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 lb. baby carrots, sliced in half or other veg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme, mined or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the potatoes, baby carrots, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and thyme.
- 3. Spread out the potato mixture into a rimmed baking sheet lined with tin foil.
- 4. Roast in oven stirring occasionally for 25-30 minutes.