Easy Shepherds Pie
Easy shepherds pie for those busy weeknights
Shepherds pie is a perfect dish on a cold wintery night, but traditional preparation requires time and effort. Now I love to cook; however, there are times when I am really tired and can not be bothered spending lots of time in the kitchen. My guys love their shepherds pie while I do not like the prep time, so that’s where the recipe easy shepherds pie come in.
It is a simple quick recipe for it. I use ground turkey; however, you can use ground beef or lamb. Frozen vegetables are ideal, but thaw them first or you will have a soggy mixture. You can buy refrigerated mashed potatoes or make your own. If you are in a rush and want dinner in 30 minutes then buy them ready-made.
This recipe is about speed while it tasting pretty darn good. It is OK to purchased some prepared foods. From scratch is better, but do not beat yourself up when time is short. The important point is you are making a home cooked meal.
Easy Shepherds Pie Recipe
- 16 oz ground turkey
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 oz frozen mixed vegetables thawed
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt
- Generous turn of the pepper mill
- 16 oz packaged refrigerated mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup sharp shredded Cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cook ground meat in a large skillet over medium heat until no pink remains.
- Stir in ketchup and Worcestershire sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix in thawed vegetables.
- Combine mashed potatoes and cheese.
- Move meat and vegetable mixture to an oven proof baking dish.
- Spread mashed potatoes on top of meat mixture.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.