Slow Cooker Corn Chowder
Soup is one of the dishes that make the world a better place. This slow cooker corn chowder is a good candidate for world harmony. It warms the soul as the weather starts to turn cooler. And as we busy ourselves with fall activities, the slow cooker recipe makes dinner healthy and easy for us. Corn chowder is a hearty vegetarian meal. I’ve made it vegan by using vegan butter and oat milk. That’s the beauty of this chowder is it can be made plant-based without sacrificing flavor. Or you can add smoked beef sausage for non-vegan version.
The recipe is easy and straightforward. Red potatoes, frozen corn, vegetable broth, spices, unsalted butter, and heavy cream. Most items are already in your pantry or freezer. I use red potatoes and heavy cream, but that is what I had on hand when I decided to make the recipe. Regular potatoes and any milk, but skim would work in this recipe. Key to the potatoes is to have them diced small so they will cook. Once you dice the potatoes (and perhaps your grocery store has diced potatoes), this is a dump and go slow cooker meal. A kind of slow cooker meal I like.
Love soups like slow cooker corn chowder and stews? So do I. Look here for more recipes.
- 1-2 pounds red potatoes diced small
- 1 16-oz package frozen corn
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme heaping
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano heaping
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder heaping
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder heaping
- 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Generous turns of the pepper grinder
- 2-3 tablespoons unsalted butter (plant-based or dairy)
- 1/4 cup milk (plant-based or dairy)
- 1. Dice potatoes quite small.
- 2. Put potatoes and frozen corn in slow cooker.
- 3. Sprinkle in flour and tossing to coat.
- 4. Stir in vegetable broth, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- 5. Cove and cook on low heat between 6-8 hours.
- 6. Stir in butter and milk.
- 7. Heat for about 5 minutes.
- 8. Test for seasoning adding more salt or pepper as needed.
- 8. Serve.