Slow cooker bratwurst with sauerkraut and red potatoes
We are having our own Oktoberfest here at the Van den Hurks with slow cooker bratwurst with sauerkraut and red potatoes. Alright maybe not. I have been mostly preparing vegetarian meals for my guys, but today I decided to serve up meat to them. As my husband remarked when I told him what was for dinner, “Good, we’re getting real food.” Apparently, we have a long way to go on vegetarianism in this household. Especially when I thought I had been cooking real food. Throwing some shade towards the menfolk in the house.
Bratwurst, sauerkraut, and potatoes are considered a food group in our house. Perhaps it has to do with my husband is from the Netherlands and I was born in Ireland. Mystery meat in tubular form with a potato product is just part of our life. Less these days than before, but still it is in our DNA make-up. It is comfort food.
Slow cooker bratwurst with sauerkraut and red potatoes is an all-in-one meal. It will feed a crowd of hungry people. That said, currently there is only three of us so there will be leftovers. And a lot of it. Outside of slicing an onion, this is a dump it in meal and go. That is the beauty of it. Perfect for a really nasty weather day where you have to go out, but don not really want to. This will make coming home nice.
Bratwurst with sauerkraut and red potatoes recipe
- 1 Package of bratwurst
- 2 14.4 oz cans sauerkraut drained
- 1 pound of baby red potatoes diced small
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup broth (veggie or chicken)
- 1/4 drinking grade white wine
- 2 tablespoons of course grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- A few turns of the pepper grinder
- Fresh parsley chopped
- Prepare vegetables and place in slow cooker.
- Add the sauerkraut.
- Mix wine, broth, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over vegetables mixing well
- Nestle the bratwursts deeply on top of the vegetables.
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for 8-10 hours stirring a couple of times if you have a chance.
- Top with parsley.