Slow Cooker Sweet Spicy Pork Goodness
Making dinner easy is priority during busy times. And that’s where slow cooker sweet spicy pork eases your stress. Weekends tend to get busy around the holidays here no matter how much we try to keep things simple. Same for you?
The slow cooker is one way I ease that stress. During the holidays, it is really easy to fall into eating junky foods that, while are tasty, they aren’t healthy. The junky foods are deceiving and feel satisfying, but soon they start slow you down. Slow cookers help you stay on course instead of picking up stuff on the way home when you are starving. Get the slow cooker items ready the night before in dump in the morning or do it all in the morning in less than 10 minutes.
I like to use organic meats when I eat meat and that includes pork. Normally, I use pork shoulder, but they looked a bit fatty for my taste. I went with the tenderloin instead and it worked nicely. The meat was tender and tasty.
At this point, Asian spices for the most part have gone mainstream. I can get Chinese Five Spice Powder and Garlic-Chili Sauce at my local grocery store. That said, I usually pick them up at the Asian grocery store when I make a trek there. Bok choy is becoming more readily available, too.
This recipe is good enough for company. One more reason to slow cooker sweet spicy pork. It is tasty, simple, and fancy.
Slow Cooker Sweet Spicy Pork Recipes
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2pounds pork shoulder or tenderloin, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium head bok choy thinly sliced
- Cut pork into small pieces and chop boy choy.
- In slow cooker, mix the soy sauce, sugar, chili-garlic sauce, ginger, five-spice powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the pork tossing to coat.
- Cook until the pork is tender, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- About 30-minutes before serving, cook the rice and add bok choy.
- Serve with the rice.