Slow Cooker Portuguese-style Seafood Soup
Nothing is nicer than a hearty soup as the weather cools to fall then winter. Slow Cooker Portuguese-style Seafood Soup is a recipe that will warm your insides. The aroma coming from this recipe in the slow cooker says, “welcome home!”
The ingredients are straight forward and flexible: potatoes, onions, broth, crushed tomatoes, spices, and seafood. What’s nice about this recipe is that it is a dump and go. You can chop the onion and potatoes the night before and thaw the seafood in the fridge during the day then an hour before serving drop the seafood into the slow cooker. The combination of spices, broth, and tomatoes makes a rich broth to the stew. The addition of red pepper and red pepper flakes gives it a degree of heat.
Slow Cooker Portuguese-style Seafood Soup Recipe
- 1 pound yellow potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup white onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, heaping
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, heaping
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, heaping
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt, heaping
- 1/4 teaspoon crush red pepper flakes, heaping
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, heaping
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt
- Brisk turn of the pepper grinder
- 2 pounds seafood (1 pound large shrimp and 1 pound cod)
- bunch parsley, chopped
- Chop onions and place in the slow cooker.
- Cube potatoes into bite-size pieces and place in the slow cooker.
- Add the spices, broth, and tomatoes to the slower and mixing it well
- Cover and cook on high 6 hours until potatoes are cooked through.
- Add thawed seafood to slow cooker cooking for 30-60 minutes or until the seafood is fully cooked.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Serve hot with crusty bread.