Vegetarian Slow Cooker Butter Chickpeas
I will readily admit it. I love my slow cooker. Now that school has started and I return back to my “normal” work schedule, I love my slow cooker even more. And I love making Indian vegetarian meals like cooker butter chickpeas in it. Yes, I sound like a broken record, but really the slow cooker makes life easier.
With some planning and a few extra minutes, vegetarian slow cooker butter chickpeas can be in your future. I am finding with a lot of Indian vegetarian slow cooker recipes, there is more preparation involved. Not many dump it in and go meals. That is OK. The preparation time isn’t crazy. Adds about 10-15 minutes more. I am thinking you could prepare the base and veggies the night before then dumping it all in the slow cooker in the morning on the way out the door. I will have to give it a try sometimes.
Potatoes or Tofu?
I make this recipe with potatoes. You could substitute tofu if you would like it. I have tried making this recipe with tofu and it just did not work out. In fact, when I make anything with tofu, it does not work out. Do not get me wrong, I love tofu. I just can not cook it properly. When I want tofu then I go out to an Asian restaurant. If you have a knack for preparing tofu, then go for it adding it into this recipe.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium size onion, diced
- 1-3 potatoes depending on size, diced small
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- A couple turns of the pepper grinder
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Prepare the vegetables except for the cilantro.
- Put potatoes and chickpeas in slow cooker
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat.
- Add onion to the pan cooking until softened.
- Add garlic stirring to combine and until fragrant.
- Whisk coconut milk, tomato puree, garam masala, curry powder, chili powder, ground ginger, salt, and pepper together.
- Add coconut mixture to onions and garlic cooking until slightly thick about 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture on top of potatoes and chickpeas combining until mixed well.
- Cook on hight for 4 hours until sauce is thick and potatoes cooked.
- Add cilantro just before serving.
- Serve with rice or naan bread.