Warning: this layered shrimp dip is addictive.
Be prepared to embarrass yourself at parties by hovering over it. Or at least that’s me when my sister would make this wonderful party-friendly layered shrimp dip. Imagine me sitting in front of it on the porch of our old house in North Carolina with scoops in my hand shoveling it into my mouth during summer family gatherings.
Worst part is it is so simple to make with basics being salad shrimp cream cheese, cheddar cheese, cocktail sauce, salsa, and green onions. This dip is very giving in terms of ingredients. You can customize it to suit your tastes. While I am a hardcore fresh salsa maker, I suggest using whatever red salsa out of the jar you fancy from mild to spicy. Same goes from the cocktail sauce, jar works perfectly and you can select the heat level. Canned or defrosted salad shrimp are interchangeable based on what is easier for you to find. Same goes the cheese having just cheddar or a Mexican mix. You can add olives or chopped fresh peppers. We eat ours with just green onions. Whatever takes your taste buds.
Layered Shrimp Dip is perfect for parties or a party for one.
- - 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- - 1/2 cup jarred salsa, divided
- - 1/2 to 1cup cocktail sauce
- - Package, salad shrimp, defrosted or 3 cans (6 ounces each) small shrimp, rinsed and drained
- - 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- - Sliced green onions
- - Tortilla chips or Scoops
- - Combine cream cheese and half of the salsa
- - Spread into a pie plate
- - Combine cocktail sauce and remaining salsa; spread over cream cheese.
- - Arrange shrimp evenly over top.
- - Sprinkle with onions.
- - Chill.
- - Serve with tortilla chips or Scoops