Super Simple and Sexy Flounder on a Bed of Mushrooms
Got your attention with super simple and sexy. I don’t know how long I have had this recipe for flounder. Believe I picked it up while in the Netherlands either a fish monger or the Albert Heijn grocery store. The recipe originally called for Sole and that’s really hard to come by in the US. Flounder is the next best fish to use in this recipe. It is widely available in the freezer section of most US grocery stores.
It has been years since I last made this fish recipe. I found it as I was looking through my old overstuffed recipe binder. The recipe was in Dutch so I have done my best to transcribe it into English.
Now back to the super simple and sexy part. This really is a simple dish. Perfect to impress that special person or persons. Perfect for a date night. All it is flounder, salt, ground pepper, lemon juice, mushrooms, butter, onion, parsley, and white wine. Fresh ingredients that are available at most grocery stores. The recipe is fairly healthy and a bit of butter now and again never really killed anyone… or at least they died happy knowing they enjoyed the meal. It can be served with mashed potatoes and a vegetable. Or even crusty bread. On our house, potatoes are always the winner.
While the recipe calls for you to have a separate dish to bake the fish in, I have taken a one-pot solution. I used my Lodge 3.6 quart enamel cast iron casserole pan to cook it all in. It works perfectly and makes a nice presentation from oven to table. And it helps with clean-up. Only one pot to wash instead of a frying pan and casserole dish. You still have to have the pan for the potatoes though.
Looks completely luxurious and tastes that way.
- - 2-4 Tablespoons Butter
- - 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- - 1 yellow onion, chopped
- - 4 Flounder or firm white fish fillets
- - 1 lemon juiced
- - Salt and Ground Pepper
- - Glass of white wine
- - Handful of parsley chopped finely
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Butter an oven-proof baking dish setting aside.
- - Rinse and dry the flounder fillets.
- - Rub salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- - Heat butter in pan over medium heat.
- - Sauté mushrooms and onion until softened.
- - Place cooked mushroom mixture in it.
- - Fold the flounder fillets in half then place on the mushrooms.
- - Add the white wine then the parsley.
- - Bake in oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
- - Serve with mashed potatoes and cooking sauce.
Recipe in Photos