Go wild on Taco Tuesday with Fish Tacos
Not only for Taco Tuesday, but maybe Fish Friday, these fish tacos will satisfy everyone. We’ve never done Taco Tuesday in our house. The local Mexican place offers $1 tacos on Tuesdays. We would go and eat our tacos, but honestly they were pretty sorry tacos. Only two kinds: chicken and beef. Always leaving unsatisfied, we stopped going. Why pay for that wasn’t meeting your expectations? Even if it was a dollar.
I decided this past Tuesday that we needed to do Taco Tuesday. Mainly because I was bored and wanted to cook something new. And I rarely cook anything from south of border. Decided to make fish tacos. I’ve eaten them in restaurants and while they were tasty there was something that never worked for me. Best way was me to make them.
Made with cod, homemade salsa, and fiery sauce, they are delicious, fast, and simple. Perfect for busy weeknights. I make my own tomato salsa and mix my own fiery sauce. The extra effort will reward you in flavor and freshness. I keep the cod very simple by seasoning it with salt and pepper cooking it in a little bit of olive oil for it to get brown and lightly crispy.
My guys are already requesting them for next Taco Tuesday, but with shrimp. So our first Taco Tuesday was a success!
I used cod, but other flaky fish would work as well as shrimp. Per request by my guys, they wanted both fish and chicken. I agreed to have both. While I seasoned the fish with salt and pepper, I seasoned the chicken with a spicy mix of pepper and chili.
Fish Tacos Recipe
- 4 pieces cod
- Salt and pepper
- Salsa – see recipe below
- Lettuce thinly sliced
- Small flour or corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
Mix together in small bowl.
Addictive Salsa Recipe
- 4-6 plum tomatoes, diced small
- 1 bunch of Cilantro, chopped small
- 1 Jalapeño pepper, chopped small
- 1/2 white onion, chopped small
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
Mix all ingredients together. Let sit for 30 minutes at room temp and stirring a couple times.
- Prepare the salsa and fiery sauce allowing the blend flavors at room temp.
- Salt and pepper the cod or shrimp.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Cook cod until flaky and/or shrimp until they are pink.
- Warm up tortillas.
- Serve with salsa, fiery sauce, lettuce, and tortillas.