The Decadent Croissant Chocolate Bread Pudding
If you are on a diet then look away now. This croissant chocolate bread pudding will ruin all of your good intentions in one fork full of its richness. The one saving grace is it is so rich that you can not eat more than a small square.
Bread pudding is a comfort dessert. Bread puddings are be simple and humble or over the top decadent like this recipe using chocolate and croissants. The origins of bread pudding I can imagine was out of being frugal and not wanting to waste stale bread using ingredients on hand to make a sweet and satisfying warm treat on a cold winter’s day.
This recipe is luxurious, yet the ingredient list is simple. It is the combination that makes so rich. Nine ingredients is all you need to make this bread pudding such as milk, cream, eggs, croissants, sugar, and chocolate chips. Do not cut corners on this recipe by using low fat options. Just embrace it and enjoy it. It is not like you will make and eat this bread pudding every day or every week.
It is perfect for dessert after a roast, stew, or soup. Or it can be the sweet dish to compliment a savory brunch egg dish like sausage egg cheese casserole.
What is your favorite bread pudding?
Croissant Chocolate Bread Pudding Recipe
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 croissants, roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup chopped chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- Butter or spray a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Add the croissants and chocolate and mix to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake until set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean in 40 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.