Super Quick Butternut Squash Spinach Chickpea Curry
The more I focus on my business and it gets busier, the less energy I have at the end of the day to cook dinner. I want to continue to eat healthy and fresh, so I tried Butternut Squash Spinach Chickpea Curry. It is flavor in every bite. Sweet and spicy.
I did not grow up with butternut squash, pumpkin, or sweet potatoes. I am learning to use them in my everyday cooking. We ate yams at Thanksgiving, but they came out of can right into a baking dish covered with butter and brown sugar. While super yummy, I am pretty sure all the nutritional value of the yams were lost.
I purchase the pre-cut butternut squash; because, I hate peeling and chopping it. Just makes it easier and quicker for me. The only thing I do is make the pieces smaller enabling it to cook quicker. Most of the other ingredients are pantry items for me. I always have coconut milk, various types canned tomatoes, beans, and rice in the pantry. When these items are on-sale, I stock up so all I have to do is purchase the fresh veggies. Onions, bottled mince garlic, and squeezable ginger are always in my fridge. And well you all know my spice cabinets…
- Heat the oil over medium heat in large Dutch Oven.
- When the oil is hot enough then add the cumin seeds toasting for about a minute, until fragrant and lightly darkened.
- Stir in the onion, season with a pinch of salt, and cook until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander, and red pepper flakes stirring to combine and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the butternut squash, chickpeas, tomatoes with their juices, and coconut milk stirring to combine, cover, and simmer over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes, until the squash is tender.
- Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted. Season with the salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve on a bed of cooked rice.