One-Pot Chicken Dinner?
Looking for a one-pot dinner to serve on a cold winter’s night? Braised Chicken Tomato Red Lentils fits the bill. It is a healthy and hearty. And an easy dish to make within 45 mins. Doable on a busy weekday.
Since moving to Newport, Rhode Island, I have been focusing on my business which facilitated me to make sure my pantry and freezer are stocked fully for easy meals. I always have different kinds of onions, lentils, broth, spices, and chicken handy. Chicken defrosts in no time if you put in a bowl of cold water, so it is good to have it in the freezer as well as pork tenderloin, ground turkey, and fish/shrimp. And let us not forget about frozen veg.
What I like about this recipe is its simplicity. While ten ingredients may seem like a lot; it isn’t. Outside of the tomatoes, all are pantry items.
Enjoy this dish, Braised Chicken Tomato Lentils.
Braised Chicken Tomato Red Lentils
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1½ tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2. Heat an ovenproof fry pan (or cast iron casserole) over medium/high heat adding a generous splash of olive oil.
- 3. Dry chicken breasts on both sides to remove excess moisture to ensure proper sear.
- 4. Season generously with salt and pepper on both sides and add to the pan. Don't overfill the pan or the chicken will steam not sear.
- 5. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on both sides or until golden brown. Remove pieces and set aside.
- 6. Add onions, garlic, smoked paprika, and cumin. Stir for 3 to 5 minutes or until onions become transparent, but not browned.
- 7. Add lentils, stock, tomatoes, bay leaves, chili flakes, and chicken pieces. Bring to a boil.
- 8. Put into oven and bake without lid for 25 mins.