The Ugliest Black Forrest Roll Cake Ever
Yes, this is the ugliest Black Forrest Roll Cake ever. In my defense, it was my first time making a jelly roll cake. The whole roll party is what did me in. Let’s just say I won’t winning any bake-off. Mary and Paul would have plenty to say about my roll, but they would like the taste of it. It looks heavy, but the cake and filling is quite light and tender.
Black Forrest Roll Cake Recipe
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon water
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray jelly roll pan then line with parchment paper. Spray the top of the parchment.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs at high speed until very light in color.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until thick.
- In another small bowl, combine the cocoa powder with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil; adding a second with the goal of consistency of melted chocolate.
- Blend in cocoa mixture and water until combined well.
- Add cocoa mixture to sugar and egg mixture.
- Then add dry ingredients beating until combined.
- Spread in prepared jelly roll pan and bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Loosen edges and turn cake out immediately onto a large tea towel, generously dusted with confectioners sugar.
- Remove wax paper and trim any crisp edges.
- Beginning with the narrow end, roll up cake, with towel loosely.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Whip heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar and beat to stiff peaks.
- Evenly separate whipped cream into two bowls.
- In one bowl, fold in the cherry pie filling to the whipped cream.
- Carefully re roll the cake, placing seam side down on a serving platter.
- Frost with remaining whipped cream
- Sprinkle evenly with shaved chocolate.
- Refrigerate 1-2 hrs before serving. Keep refrigerated.