Almond Butter Cake or “Boterkoek”
Almond Butter Cake or better known in our house as “boterkoek.” This cake is a Dutch dessert staple where everyone has a variations to suit their family tastes. I prefer lots of almonds and sugar on the top. It gives it a nice contrast to the moist cake. What is so great about this cake is it is so simple to make with pantry ingredients on hand. Basically, this can become your go-to cake when you need a quick dessert that did not come from the grocery store bakery. And let’s face it everyone loves homemade. It says you care. Like I said this is a very simple quick cake. It is a one bowl cake. All you need is butter, sugar, eggs, salt, vanilla extract, almond extract and flour. Mix everything together and bake it. It is a good thing the cake is rich and one could (and should) only eat a small slice since it takes 3/4 cup of butter and 1 1/2 cups of sugar. This is not a low calorie or heart healthy cake so while tempting to make this every day, I would suggest keeping this as a treat. Don’t ask how many calories are in it; because it is best not to know. I do not know nor do I want to know. Just enjoy it! And do what the Dutch do when they enjoy this cake on special events, they go for walks afterwards.
Almond Butter Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cups of unsalted sweet butter
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter.
- Pour melted butter in a bowl and stir in sugar until combined.
- Add eggs.
- Stir till creamy.
- Add salt through flour
- Grease bottom and sides of pan.
- Spread the batter in the pan.
- Sprinkle the almonds over the top and add sprinkle the sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 mins or until the center is set.